Applying for a Diving Licence
The Transnet National Ports Authority considers efficient and safe diving operations as vital to the proper functioning of the ports.
In terms of Port Rule 148,issued in terms of section 80(2) of the National Ports Act 12 of 2005, Transnet National Ports Authority requires persons carrying out diving activities in the port to apply for a licence.
No diving can be conducted within port limits without a valid diving licence. Following the initial advertisements, during 2009, for applications, the intial diving licence application assessments have been completed.
Without any further advertisements, diving licence applications can be made at any time and will be assessed on a continuous basis, in the manner set out in the Guidelines for Agreements, Licences and Permits.
Application forms for port diving activities can be downloaded from this site, and may also be obtained between 08:30 and 16:00 from the Customers Services Centre (CSC) in the Port Administration Building in the ports of Richard's Bay, Durban, East London, Ngqura, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town and Saldanha Bay; and the Revenue Office in the Port Control Building at the Port of Mossel Bay.
Applicants can submit applications, on a per port basis, to the Authority, for the attention of the Port Licence Manager of the respective port either by hand, fax or email. Contact details of the Port Licence Managers are listed below.
Steps to apply for a Diving Licence:
1) Following the invitation, click on the link supplied to download the application form for a diving licence.
2) Following the invitation, click on the link supplied to download the schedule to the diving application form.
3) Following the invitation, click on the link supplied to download the standard terms and conditions of the diving licence.
4) Following the invitation, complete and sign the diving licence application form.
5) Sign the diving licence. (See item 3 above).
6) The applications must be submitted on a per port basis.
7) No payment is required with the application.
8) In order to finalise your application per port, the following documents and information are required:
a) Completed and signed application form per port;
b) Documents and information, indicated by the clipboard icon on the application form, as needed; and
c) Signed diving licence. (See item 3 above).
The abovementioned documents need to be delivered between 08h30 and 16h00 to the Customers Services Centre (CSC) in the Port Admin Building in the ports of Richards Bay, Durban, East London, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town and Saldanha Bay, and the Revenue Office in the Port Control Building at the port of Mossel Bay, for the attention of the Authority's Port Licence Manager for the applicable port, click here to download the list.
Payment of licence fee
Upon written notification of the successful outcome of an application, Transnet National Ports Authority requires a once-off payment per port for the full duration of the 3 year term of the licence, before issuing the licence. The licence fee is payable for each port you want to conduct your diving business in.
For more information
If you have any diving licence questions, please call the relevant Port Licence Manager.
Thank you for your work in keeping the port safe and secure.