Applying for a Stevedore Licence
The Transnet National Ports Authority considers efficient stevedore operations as vital to the proper functioning of the ports.
To comply with the National Ports Act 12 of 2005, it is imperative that stevedores have a licence. Stevedoring is defined in the appendix of the White Paper of National Commercial Ports Policy (Government Gazette no. 23715 dated 8 August 2002). Stevedoring means "To load, stow and unload cargo on board a vessel".
No stevedoring can be conducted within ports without a valid stevedore licence. Following the initial advertisements, during 2009, for applications, the initial stevedore licence applicatiooon assessments have been completed.
Application forms for port stevedoring can be downloaded from this site, and may also be obtained between 08:30 and 16:00 from the Customers Services Centre (CSC) in the Port Administration Building in the ports of Richards Bay, Durban, East London, Ngqura, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town and Saldanha Bay; and the Revenue Office in the Port Control Building at the Port of Mossel Bay.
Applicants can submit applications, on a per port basis, to the Authority, for the attention of the Port Licence Manager of the respective port, either by hand, fax or email. Contact details of the Port Licence Managers are listed below.
Steps to apply for a Stevedore Licence:
- Following the invitation, click on the link supplied to download the application form for a stevedore licence.
- Following the invitation, click on the link supplied to download the schedule to the stevedore application form.
- Following the invitation, click on the link supplied to download the standard terms and conditions of the stevedore licence
- Following the invitation, complete and sign the stevedore licence application form.
- Sign the stevedore licence. (See item 3 above).
- The applications must be submitted on a per port basis.
- No payment is required with the application.
- In order to finalise your application per port, the following documents and information are required:
a) Completed and signed application form per port;
b) Documents and information, indicated by the clipboard icon on the application form, as needed; and
c) Signed stevedore licence. (See item 3 above).
The above mentioned documents need to be delivered between 08h30 and 16h00 to the Customers Services Centre (CSC) in the Port Admin Building in the ports of Richards Bay, Durban, East London, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town and Saldanha Bay, and the Revenue Office in the Port Control Building at the port of Mossel Bay, for the attention of the Authority's Port Licence Manager for the applicable port, click here to download the list.
Payment of licence fee
Upon written notification of the successful outcome of an application, Transnet National Ports Authority requires a once-off payment per port for the full duration of the 3 year term of the licence, before issuing the licence. The licence fee is payable for each port you want to conduct your stevedore business in.
For more informations
If you have any stevedore licence questions, please call the relevant Port Licence Manager.
Thank you for your work in keeping the port safe and secure.