Kwazulu-Natal : Port Shepstone
Where is it?
Latitude: 30° 44’ 30,1” S
Longitude: 30° 27’ 33,0” E
How to get there:
Leaving Durban, take the N2 to Port Sheptone. The R102 along the coastline is more scenic.
The Lighthouse is situated in the town of Port Shepstone on the southern side of the mouth of the Umzimkulu River, on the KwaZulu-Natal South coast.
Port Shepstone Lighthouse developed out of the signal station, which was a natural requirement during the period that Port Shepstone was actually a harbour. An ordinary ship masthead lantern was exhibited from the top of a ladder- like structure and came into operation during 1895.
The present cast iron lighthouse was erected during 1906. It was first located at Scottburgh where it marked the southern extremity of the infamous Aliwal Shoal and thereafter it was transferred to its present position.
Port Shepstone was named after Sir Theophilus Shepstone, a South African statesman.
During June of each year, Port Shepstone becomes famous for the sardine run which has Natal abuzz with activity, a strange phenomenon which not only feeds man but the whole marine ecology for a brief spell each year. Southern Right whales and dolphins are also sighted.
The Portuguese galleon San Joa (Saint John) ran aground in 1552. Port St. Johns, where Cape Hermes Lighthouse is situated, was named after this galleon.
The closest wreck is that of the Defiance which ran aground during the night of 6 October 1871 near the mouth of the Umzimkulu River, bound from Bombay to Liverpool with a cargo of cotton and buffalo horns on board.
- Guided tours of the lighthouse
- Curios and memorabilia on sale
- Hibiscus Coast Tourism Information Office on site
- Future accommodation being planned